25 Configuring Command and Control (C2) for Devices
Having Command and Control capabilities simply means that a Device can be remotely controlled, if the Device has that capability. These functions may include the ability to change its normal reporting times or the number of times it reports during a Panic Alert, as example.
The types of Devices used in Application varies dramatically. Some Devices are very basic with extremely long battery lives. Others are sophisticated with Panic Alerts, Motion Detectors, Data Recording capabilities, Stealth modes, Temperature alarms, etc. Each new Device integrated with Application has its own Control Panel designed specifically for that series of Device.
To get to a Device’s Control Panel:
- Open the Menu.
- In the Devices grid, locate your target Devices listing.
Right-click the listing to open its shortcut menu.
Click Control Panel in the menu.
- The Control Panel for your selected Device will be similar to the one shown below.
Using the support materials from the Device manufacturer, configure the Device as desired.
Note: The way a Device functions in Application may not be exactly what is described in the Manufacturer’s documentation. Application engineers do not always activate all Device functions at the request of the Device owner.
7.26 Using the C2 Device Management Tool
In some versions of Application Users are given permission to access the Command and Control (C2) functions of Devices directly, using the Device Management Tool. This tool allows some Users to quickly turn ON or turn OFF specific Device capabilities, based on the objectives of the Operation.
Note: Limiting some Device capabilities can translate into longer battery life and greater stealth on a mission when needed. It also can mean lower Device operating costs.
Note: Only an Administrator can grant access to the Device Management Tool.
To access the C2 Device Management Tool, Users must have these permissions:
- Read permission specific to ‘User and Device combinations’.
- Edit permissions specific to ‘User and Device combinations’.
Once given permission, take the following steps to access the C2 Management Users panel:
- Access Operation Builder using the ‘Edit’ mode, and navigate to the Data Sources tab.
- Click the Devices bar that opens the list of Devices assigned to the Operation.
- Highlight the target Device, and then click the small Padlock icon in the upper-right corner.
The DEVICE PERMISSIONS panel displays (as seen below).
- On the left side of the window, select a User from the User list.
- Set permissions for this User, for all Devices on this Operation, or choose to filter by Device type. (Using drop-down under the User Name.)
- Use the checkboxes to assign or deny permission.
- Selected Box = permission granted
- Cleared Box = permission denied
- Square in Box = default permission inherited from User’s Role
In the example below, the user ‘uptonca’ is only granted permission to ‘Poll’ and ‘Configure’ (set reporting rates).
- To save your changes, click APPLY.
- To save your changes and exit the window, click SET.
Note: ‘RESET’ will make the settings for this User (and Device) revert to the default for the User’s Role.
Note: All Devices must be assigned to an Operation before you can activate or deactivate permissions. Once the Device is removed from an Operation, all Permissions added by the User are removed.
Please sign in to leave a comment.